Friday, March 1, 2013

How I Decided to Run a Half Marathon

Up until May 2012 I HATED running.  Or at least I thought I did.  My mom always makes fun of the old me when I talk about loving it now.  I would use any excuse to get out of running in high school gym class.  But in my defense, who really wants to get all sweaty during second period and feel gross the rest of the day?!  Or run immediately after lunch??  No thanks!

So I came to college in 2009 and my roommate Julie loved running!  I tried to change my ways and train for the 3.2 for 32 in April 2010.  I think I went once with (my current roommate) Becky on a chilly day.  I still hated it, mostly because I wasn't really in shape and it was cold and my ears hurt.  Blacksburg is rather hilly too so needless to say I gave up pretty quickly.  I think I ran at most 1.5 miles before the 3.2?  But I did run quite a bit of it (well besides the hills).  But I was still not convinced.  Julie would invite me running with her and I would always decline because "I hate running."

Fast forward to last summer when a few events put things into perspective for me.  I had just finished my Anatomy & Physiology course and I realized that exercise helps reduce the risk of the majority of the health problems I was learning about.  I also ate SO much junk food during finals, so I felt like my body needed some sort of detox.  My first morning at home for the summer I went for a run by the beach.  I was tired and it was tough but I made myself keep going a few times a week and eventually it turned into a habit.

Even though it was only a mile, I'll never forget how accomplished I felt the first time I pushed myself.  I liked to run/ walk to switch it up and avoid boredom, but one day I wanted to see if I could do it.  And I could!  Then eventually I upped it to two miles and I felt invincible (gotta love those endorphins)!  After I got back from break, I went running with my roommates and the time just flew by, I had so much fun!

I kept casually running, going just as long as my body was comfortable.  My roommates and I did the Color Me Rad 5K (which was probably one of the best things I've ever done).  I had also been reading Janae's blog and seeing her love for running just kinda rubbed off on me and inspired me to take the plunge!  My roommates and I found a race near school that was fairly cheap (college students on a budget holla) and we all signed up before I could think twice or change my mind!

Me, Julie & Becky: Before
Julie & Becky: During

Becky & I: After!!


So here I am in the midst of week 4 of training and I'm really enjoying it!!  On the schedule tomorrow is a 5 mile run (which may or may not be the farthest I've ran yet in my whole life...) so hopefully it will go continue to go well!! :)


Have you ever done a half marathon?  A color run?


3 comments:

  1. Soooooo glad you don't hate running anymore! I promise this half marathon will be the best!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to hate ALL things exercise but discovered running in 2010 and I was HOOKED! I ran my first 1/2 in May of 2011, did that same 1/2 again in May of 2012 and THIS May, I'm doing my first full!! Races are ADDICTING =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh that's awesome!! Good luck with your full, you're gonna rock it! :)

      Delete