Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Reflections

I tried several times to write this entry and each time ended up staring at a blank screen.  I'm writing with a heavy heart and it's hard for me to put my feelings into words so this may be kind of scattered.  With yesterday being 6 years since the tragedy at Virginia Tech and then Boston Marathon bombings on Monday, I found myself battling a mixture of emotions as I went about my day yesterday.



Throughout the day I'd find negativity creep into my thoughts and I'd force myself to push it out.  There is no time for that.  Listening to my professor talk about one of her students who was killed, seeing the outpouring of support at the memorial, as well as the abundance of maroon and orange, on campus and reading people's stories online brought tears to my eyes.  I need to do what those 32 cannot; I must live for 32.  Not just today but everyday.  So with the post, I challenge myself to do just that.  To change my thinking from 'I have to go to class' to 'I get to go to class.'  To take advantage of the opportunities and experiences that others cannot.  To do more random acts of kindness in hopes to remind even just one person that the good outshines the bad.


Saturday morning, I ran 3.2 miles with my Hokie family in honor of the 32 innocent lives lost on the campus I am so incredibly proud to call my home.  Last night, Julie and I ran 2.62 silent miles in honor of Boston, and then continued to finish out 26.2 minutes in their honor as well.  Those 2.62 miles were the toughest miles that I can recall since starting training for my half marathon.  It was such an emotional experience for me to be running with one of my best friends and not speaking a word.  Reflecting on my thoughts of the day as we tackled hill after hill at a much quicker pace than usual was difficult.  Every time I thought about stopping, I thought about why I was running and continued on.  It may have been tough but it helped me sort out my thoughts and emotions, reflect and remember, and for that I am thankful.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." -MLK

2 comments:

  1. Just clicked on your from HRG and found out we're state twins. Although, I'm not still in college- wish ;) great post. You had a double wammy this week and it sounds like you handled it well. I honestly think these tragedies happen to remind us how much good there is out there.
    emma @ amomrunsthistown.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea of a 2.62 mile silent run plus 26.2 more minutes to honor Boston. It's been a tough week...

    ReplyDelete