Monday, April 15, 2013

Weekend Recap!

I've been really terrible at keeping up with blogging lately... my bad!  I had a bunch of tests but now I'm pretty much done until finals - yay!

Friday
Thursday night Julie, Becky and I had a sleepover in the living room.  We each brought our mattresses out because we were supposed to get bad thunderstorms during the night (and because we just have fun doing it).  After I got back from class Julie & I ran some errands.  We spent a long time looking at vacuums, we've broken 2 so far because we all have a lot of hair and shed like crazy... any recommendations?

We also picked up the ingredients for sangria!  It was my first time trying/ making sangria and it was soo yummy.  If I hadn't had to be up at 7 Saturday morning I would have probably had another glass (or 5).

Julie, Cassy and I did a 3 mile loop around campus and I felt pretty good!  I had taken 3 days off last week because my ankle was bothering me.  It was fine for the most part during the run and it was great to be back out there - especially because we had some beautiful weather!

Later Julie, Becky, Peter and I went to The Homeplace for dinner!  It's a house turned restaurant that serves homestyle southern cooking.  It. is. delicious.  It's all-you-can-eat which is both good and bad because I always leaved absolutely stuffed.  We had fried chicken, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, green beans, pinto beans, cole slaw and biscuits with apple butter.  The cobbler of the day was blackberry.  I should have taken a picture but the food just didn't last long enough after it reached my plate!

Sangria!

Saturday
The 3.2 for 32 Remembrance run is probably one of my favorite events.  This year it brought 7,000 Hokie runners and walkers together to remember the 32 Hokies lost on April 16, 2007 and to celebrate Hokie Nation.  After everyone lines up near the start, there is a moment of silence and 32 white balloons are released into the sky.  Then, hundreds (thousands?) of maroon and orange balloons are released and the run begins.  I really cannot say enough how much I love my school.


The course brings you through Lane, our football stadium.  You can run through the tunnel that the football team runs through while "Enter Sandman" by Metallica plays and 66,000 people jump up and down in the stands.  It never fails to give me chills and I can only imagine how awesome it is to run onto the field as a player!  I'm getting excited just thinking about it!


Touching the Hokie Stone

Becky, Julie & I on the sideline
We met up and ran with Julie's boyfriend Joe's mom, Deb at Deb Runs and tagged along for her meet-up with Meagan at Turkey Runner!  Both of them are soo nice, it was a lot of fun!  After we finished, we stopped on the drillfield (big grassy area in the middle of campus) to grab water and some snacks quick and then continued running for ~8 more miles for a total of 11!  It felt awesome to run and it actually flew by!  We ran by one of the volunteers on the course and she called us out for still running and being overachievers :P

Later that evening, we went over to Peter's for a wine dinner.  Becky and Peter are in a wine class (why didn't I sign up for that?) so we had a couple different wines to try and lots of delicious food to eat!  

Sunday
Lazy day.  My legs are thankful.

Hope you all had a great weekend!!! :)

5 comments:

  1. I should have just written my post saying "see kelly's"! We really must make sure every weekend is as fun as this one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That storm Thursday night was crazy! I forgot about it. We have been to The Homeplace many times. It is so good, but I'm always stuffed! I usually fall asleep on the way home.

    It was great to meet you and run together! The race is also one of my favorite events :) the Hokie Nation is the best family in the world to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun weekend and yeah for lazy Sundays!

    PS - Check my 2nd to last post on how to get rid of word verification. I see you still have yours on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that 32 run looks so fun! and mmmm sangria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill and I were so glad that you, Becky, and Julie let us tag along with you guys! We've never been to the Homeplace. It's on my Hokie bucket list! :-)

    ReplyDelete