Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What I've Learned as a College Grad...

Being in my pseudo "real world," {at least that's how I think of it right now} has provided me with way more knowledge than I expected.  Here are the top 5 things I've learned so far:

1. It's okay to look young.  People always say how great it is to look young but I never saw it that way.  Now, when I tell people I just graduated (and have to clarify that I graduated from college, not high school) and they tell me I look 16, it's no big deal.  I do have to draw the line at being offered a kids menu {13 and under only?? oh please. }

2. Finding a job ain't easy. With a biology degree in hand, I'm finding that there aren't many entry level options out there.  It's all about finding connections and using them!  Which is very stressful and discouraging but you just have to have some faith I guess.

3. It's okay to work a job you may be over-qualified for. Money is money and when you've got loans to pay back, anything will do.  Making minimum wage isn't ideal but hey, it's a job and it will keep me occupied while I search for something related to my major!

4. Mentioning grad school to employers is a big red flag.  Yeah, saying you "may eventually pursue higher education" is not okay, apparently.  I'm still having a hard time agreeing with this but someday it might stick?

5. You will miss college like no other. Everyone has different college experiences but at least once a day I find myself reminiscing and missing the good ol' days at Virginia Tech.  Those were the best 4 years I could have asked for and I wouldn't change a thing about them.  

Thanks for the memories, Lane Stadium!

Julie & I in front of our freshman dorm door


That's all for now!  I'm trying to get back into posting more so hopefully I can keep it up :)

2 comments:

  1. Good life lessons! As far as the grad school- wait until you get hired and have worked for the company for a year or so. Then tell them you'd like to pursue a master's so that you can improve your skills for the company. They may just pay for you to do so :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, you are a genius!! However, I think you should start considering taking that kids menu....kids meals usually come WITH dessert. Just saying. Also I love the picture in front of our dorm room!!

    ReplyDelete